Welcome!

Nuria Calvet

Professor

ncalvet@umich.edu

857 Dennison
500 Church St.
Ann Arbor, Mi 48109

Phone: 763-6315
Department Phone: (734) 764-3440
Fax: (734) 763-6317

I study the first stages of the life of stars and of the planets around them. Part of my research focusses on protoplanetary disks and their evolution from primordial disks formed in the collapse of molecular cloud cores to debris disks. My group has developed modeling tools aiming to interpret observations of protoplanetary disks to understand how the dust and gas change with time and the factors that make them change, like accretion of mass onto the star and formation of planets. I am also interested in finding and characterizing new disks in young populations and I colaborate closely in the CIDA Orion Variability Survey. My group obtains and interpret observations from ground-based observatories, specially Magellan, and space missions as HST, Chandra, Spitzer, and Herschel. I am a member of the Spitzer IRS Disk Team, the Herschel Protostar Survey (HOPS) team, and the Submillimeter Evolution of Disks with SPIRES (SEDS) team. Our Spitzer work has been highlighted in News Features Planets May Leave Tracks in Dust, Planets Forming Around a Sun-like Star, and Spectra Show Protoplanetary Disc Structures.

Research Interests

• Structure and emission of protoplanetary disks: irradiated accretion disks
  • Protoplanetary disk evolution
  • Signatures of protoplanets: transitional and pre-transitional disks
  • Mass accretion onto young stars: magnetospheric accretion, accretion shocks
  • Disks below the substellar limit
  • Discovery and characterization of young stellar populations
  • Protostars and the youngest disks
  • Winds of young objects

Current Students

Current Postdocs

Recent Alumni and Postdocs

Publications

ADS search

Conduct a search of the SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System for papers that include me as an author.