Michigan Astronomy

Monica Valluri

Associate Research Professor

email Monica Valluri

905 Dennison
500 Church St.
Ann Arbor, Mi 48109

Phone: (734) 764-3430
Department Phone: (734) 764-3440
Fax: (734) 763-6317

Research Interests

I am an Associate Research Professor at the Department of Astronomy at the University of Michigan. My research is based on the theoretical framework of Galactic Dynamics. Some of the topics I currently work on include:

• accurately measuring the masses of supermassive black holes in galaxies, their effects on their host galaxies, and their role in galaxy evolution;
  • the role of non-linear dynamical processes (e.g. chaos and dynamical relaxation) in sculpting galaxies;
  • the properties (such as space and velocity distribution) of the mysterious "dark matter" that constitutes most of the mass in the Universe;
  • understanding the dynamical structure of the Milky Way Galaxy from the properties of tidal streams, and the orbits of stars in the Milky Way's halo and thick disk;
  • predicting the observable properties of dark matter and the detectability of "dark stars" with future telescopes like JWST;
  • infering the dynamical effects of cluster environments on spiral galaxies from the distributions of their atomic hydrogen gas and stars.

Selected Current Preprints

Curriculum Vitae (PDF, Updated November 2013)

Software and Other Resources

Publications

All my publications are available from NASA Astrophysics Data System (ADS).

Recent Teaching

Information for Collaborators