Kayhan Gültekin

Picture of Kayhan

I am an assistant research scientist at the University of Michigan, Department of Astronomy. I study astrophysical black holes and their relationship with their hosts, be they galaxy nuclei, dark matter halos, stellar clusters, or whatever.

News

2014 March 6 - Our recent paper Degenaar et al. (2014), “Multi-Wavelength Coverage of State Transitions in the New Black Hole X-ray Binary Swift J1910.2−0546,” has been accepted by ApJ and posted to astro-ph.

2013 December 18 - Our recent paper Gultekin et al. (2013), “The Black Hole Mass and the Stellar Ring in NGC 3706,” has been accepted by ApJ and posted to astro-ph. We measure the black hole mass and come to the surprising conclusion that the stellar ring in NGC 3706 has stars that orbit in both directions.

2013 November 20 - Just reached my 1000th citation (but who's counting?).

2013 September 9 - Our recent paper A. L. King et al. (2013b), “A Distinctive Disk-Jet Coupling in the Lowest-mass Seyfert, NGC 4395,” has been published by ApJL and posted to astro-ph.

2013 September 9 -I wrote a short “Ask Astro” column (subscription required) for the September 2013 issue of Astronomy magazine.

2013 July 18 -The Swift Galactic Plane Survey team (PI: Mark Reynolds) has published our third and final source list ATEL #5200.

2013 July 15 - I will be attending the KITP program A Universe of Black Holes from August 4 to September 20, including giving an invited talk at the associated conference Massive Black Holes: Birth, Growth, and Impact. You can keep up with the goings on at #bholes13, apparently.

2013 July 1 - My new web page (the one you're looking at!) is finally live. Since I do all my php, css, and html by hand, there are sure to be some hiccups here and there. Please let me know about them.

2013 May 17 - Our recent paper A. L. King et al. (2013), "What is on Tap? The Role of Spin in Compact Objects and Relativistic Jets," has been accepted by ApJ and posted to astro-ph.

2013 Mar 15 - The Swift Galactic Plane Survey (PI Mark Reynolds) has discovered Supernova Remnant G306.3-0.9. Paper has been accepted by ApJ and is available on astro-ph. You can read about it at several fine news organizations.

2013 Jan 18 - I will be giving a review talk at SnowPAC 2013 on March 18, 2013. I might do a little skiing as well.

2013 Jan 18 - I will be giving a talk at Rhodes College on Wednesday, April 17.

2012 Dec 3 -In addition to some other great coverage, we achieved the ultimate with press coverage in The Onion for NGC 1277. (The black hole is actually the second biggest, but so what?)

2012 Nov 29 - Our recent paper, van den Bosch et al. (2012) titled “An Over-Massive Black Hole in the Compact Lenticular Galaxy NGC1277” has been published by Nature and posted to astro-ph. There has been a lot of cool press coverage, of which Remco is trying to keep track.

2012 Nov 28 - I will be giving a talk at Notre Dame on January 15, 2013.

2012 Nov 13 - I forgot to mention that I gave a talk at Michigan State on October 10. It was a fun trip. (Nice to have a productive research visit be a day trip as well.) Our recent paper Gültekin & Miller̈, “Observable Consequences of Merger-Driven Gaps and Holes in Black Hole Accretion Disks,” was accepted by ApJ and is available on astro-ph.

2012 Aug 2 - Our recent paper, Reis et al., "A 200-second Quasi-Periodicity After the Tidal Disruption of a Star by a Dormant Black Hole," has been published in Science and picked up by quite a few press organizations. See Rubens Reis's page for a compilation of press coverage.

2012 Jul 2 - Our recent paper, "Observable Consequences of Merger-Driven Gaps and Holes in Black Hole Accretion Disks," has been accepted by ApJ and posted to astro-ph.

2012 May 21 - Our recent paper, King et al., "Regulation of Black Hole Winds and Jets Across the Mass Scale," has been submitted to ApJ and posted to astro-ph.