- Theoretical and observational studies of the gaseous medium in the Milky Way, in other galaxies, and in clusters of galaxies.
- High-energy astrophysics
- Much of my current research is related to the missing normal matter (baryons) in the universe, along with studies of intermediate mass black holes, elliptical galaxies, and globular clusters.
Ph.D. in Astronomy and Astrophysics, Univ. of California, Santa Cruz (Lick Observatory), 1977
B.S. in Physics and Astronomy, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1973.
- The Search for the Missing Baryons at Low Redshift
- Bregman, Joel N. 2007, Ann. Rev. Astr. Ap., 45, 221.
- The Ages of Elliptical Galaxies from Infrared Spectral Energy Distributions
- Bregman, Joel N., Temi, Pasquale, and Bregman, Jesse D. 2006, ApJ, 647.
- O VI in Elliptical Galaxies: Indicators of Cooling Flows
- Bregman, Joel N., Miller, Eric D., Athey, Alex E., and Irwin, Jimmy A. 2005 ApJ, 635, 1031.
- Mass Loss From Evolved Stars In Elliptical Galaxies (astroph submission, May 2008)
- Parriott, Joel R, and Bregman, Joel N. 2008, ApJ, in press.
- ADS search
- Conduct a search of the SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System for papers that include me as an author.